Friday, February 18, 2005

So Much Inspiration - So Much Time!

You really do get out of life what you look for - in addition to what you put in.

If I'm convinced that someone has done me wrong, I'll find all the evidence in the world to back up my belief. If I even suspect that someone might disagree with a thought I have, I find all kinds of excuses to avoid having to state my own opinion. And then I can blame that other someone for not allowing me to put in my two cents' worth.

Or I can find so many different and totally unique ways to be inspired that I'm spending a great deal of my time with my head up - looking for the next person to cross my path, or the next phone call to get me thinking about something new, or the next website recommended by a trusted colleague.

"Spending a great deal of time." Funny I would say it like that. Isn't it better to SPEND time in our lives rather than SAVE it? I know there will be differing opinions about this, but I'd rather SPEND my time doing things I love than SAVE my time for someday. I've heard it said that you will never FIND time for anything - if you want time you have to MAKE it.

Well, I do have that choice - to MAKE time for the things and the people I most cherish.

I can't remember where I heard this, so I apologize up front for not giving credit where it's due (funny, but the word "credit" came up in the context of money ... hmmmm... anyway ...).

If someone gave you $1,440 today and told you you had to spend it all within one 24-hour period, could you do it? If you love to shop like I do, you probably wouldn't have any trouble. And if someone gave you $1,440 tomorrow and told you you had to spend it within that 24-hour period, you'd probably be able to do that, too. You would spend every last dollar, I'll bet.

Well, we have 1,440 minutes available to us every single 24-hour period. How wisely do we spend those minutes? How many of us are more mindful of how we spend our money than how we spend our time? Yet there may also be those who use their time - perhaps like their money - socked away in a drawer somewhere, waiting for the "someday."

"You can eat your dessert after you finish your broccoli." "I'll put my bike away after this show is over." "We'll go to the baseball game after I finish this proposal for my boss." "We'll go to Europe after the kids graduate."

Remember the song "Cat's in the Cradle" by Harry Chapin? Here's a refresher from the last verse:

I've long since retired, my son's moved away.
I called him up just the other day.
"I'd like to see you, if you dont mind."
He said, "I'd love to, Dad, if I could find the time.
You see my new job's a hassle and the kids have the flu,
But it's sure nice talkin' to you, Dad.
It's been sure nice talkin' to you."

And as I hung up the phone it occurred to me,
He'd grown up just like me.
My boy was just like me.

All we've really got is time. All the time in the world. 1,440 minutes every single day. And more inspiration than we can even imagine. You really do find what you're looking for. Looking for more justification? Here it is. Looking for reasons to believe things really are as bad as they seem? It's right here, too. Looking for a a red Dodge pickup? You'll see them on every corner. Mulling over a tough problem that you know has a positive response? Turn on the radio and listen to the next song.

It's as simple - and as complicated - as that. Inspiration is EVERYWHERE - we just need to be prepared to see or hear or feel or taste or smell it.

Here's to wise spending!

3 Comments:

At 12:38 AM, Blogger Robin said...

"So much inspiration": completely agree. If you haven't read http://evelynrodriguez.typepad.com/ already, and you have time (heh), you should check her out--prodigious source of inspiration.

 
At 8:39 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

 
At 8:42 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Wow, Robin - you weren't kidding! Evelyn is total inspiration! I need to MAKE the time to really digest what she's got out there.

Thank you for introducing me!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home