Monday, September 19, 2005

Inspiration Comes In All Kinds of Packages

I just had dinner with a friend and the dialogue we created was an example of true synergy - more than either of us could have put together on our own. It was enlivening and engaging and fun and the time just flew. Her comment on the way out was "I was so tired when we first got here, but I'm totally energized now. I get that from being with you."

There was a time in my life when I might not have been able to accept that compliment. Why are we so hesitant to hear acknowledgement of who we are being in the universe?

Lately I've seen many examples of how the Universe is conspiring to make things happen in my life. I'm listening to Josh Groban's "You Raise Me Up" right now on my brand new iRiver MP3 player. Talk about inspiration! Not only do the words of the song lift me to a new place, but Josh's presence is amazing. The passion in his voice is so powerful. What if he had said, "Who, me? Be an amazing singer?" Where would the world be without the Josh Grobans or the Michaelangelos or the daVincis or Beethovens or the Stephen Hawkings? What if they had fought against their own gifts and destinies?

I'm starting to understand that for myself. I have definite gifts and talents and it's really not up to me to determine how I should shine in the world. The Marianne Williamson quote keeps popping up for me these days - and so many more aspects of it seem to come to relevance depending upon the day or situation. Here's the quote:

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness that most frightens us. We ask ourselves, Who am I to be brilliant, gorgeous, talented, fabulous? Actually, who are you not to be? You are a child of God. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won’t feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine, as children do. We were born to make manifest the glory of God that is within us. It is not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own light shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others. - Marianne Williamson

I'm beginning to understand more and more that as I get out of my own way, my presence automatically liberates others to be who they are meant to be - even if it means I'm supposed to say hi to someone I might not have said hi to before, which, as happened in the hallway at my office today, opens up a really meaningful conversation about the war in Iraq - a topic I've avoided having a conversation about because I don't think I know much about it. If I'm truly listening, it doesn't really matter what I think or what I say about it. If I'm listening to someone - really listening - it allows that person to become powerful about his or her opinions and try them out on a neutral - and supportive - audience.

If I can allow myself to be who I am supposed to be - warts and all - and practice being an objective observer and suspend judgment every day, it allows all kinds of power to be generated and stepped into.

It's making a difference in my business relationships as well as my personal ones. Inspiration - being in spirit - really does allow me to remember things I do know, but just forgot.

Watch for ways you can make a difference in your own life by just getting out of the way. Let your own light shine and watch the light spread around you. It's truly a sight to behold!

5 Comments:

At 10:02 PM, Blogger Phil Gerbyshak said...

Jodee - you are definitely a synergistic person, and one I'm very glad to know. Your posts offer us all great insights, and I'm looking forward to watching you get out of your own way and uncover your greatness. Thanks for sharing it with all of us!

 
At 6:36 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Phil:

Thank you for your wonderful comment - and for being who you are meant to be by making everything you touch GREAT! Blogging has opened up a whole new world for me and given me friends like you - I'm truly blessed and grateful!

 
At 9:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee--I acknowledge you for being unreasonable. You bring light to each of our conversations. Thanks for radiating your light so others can see the power and brilliance of their own. No thinking small. This little light of mine is not a candle but a flood light. Bock On!
--Bonnie

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee, it's your new friend Jen! I'd like to comment about music. Josh Groban (he is incredible) and any artist with positive energy flowing from their songs is completely inspirational and energizing to me. Music is so powerful and so diverse, I can find a song(s) that fits any mood I'm in. A great friend of mine recommended Jon Anderson (former lead singer of Yes) to me. 'Change We Must', 'Dream', and 'Toltec' contain some of the most insightful and spiritual music I have heard. I crank it full blast in my car almost every morning on the way to work and sing it at the top of my lungs. The music and lyrics help me plan my day and make it great. Jodee, you are truely 'in-spirit' and I can't wait to read more of your thoughts.

 
At 8:51 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Jen:

I experienced Jon Anderson's music up close and personal today, compliments of our friend Phil, who sent me the "Change We Must" CD along with a couple of others. Wow. I know what you mean about the power of that message along with the amazing instrumentals. Music is truly an amazing inspiration!

Thanks for visiting - and I'll look forward to many future conversations and exchanges with you!!

Jodee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home