Wednesday, February 15, 2006

A Piece of My Mind - or Peace of Mind?

I've been thinking lately about how thoughts become things (thanks, TUT!). If that is true, and everything that happens begins as a thought, and the easiest thing we can do is change our minds about something, wouldn't it stand to reason that we really do create our own reality?

I saw a bumper sticker yesterday, placed directly in the middle of the bumper on the car in front of me, that said "Die Tailgater Scum." It really got me thinking. What must be going on in the mind of the person who 1) purchased that sticker, 2) peeled off the backing, 3) placed it carefully on his bumper? What must be the reality that person is creating for himself?

Since yesterday I've been more mindful of bumper stickers, as well as T-shirts people choose to purchase and then wear or display.

What bumper stickers or T-shirts are you noticing? How are we all creating our own reality based on the perspective through which we see the world? Are the two related? Let me know what you notice!

4 Comments:

At 12:12 PM, Blogger Hanna said...

Jodee,

Great reminders of what are we "advertising", knowingly or not!

I once heard it said that the US is the only place where people advertise what colleges or universities they went to on their cars!

I'm not sure if that means we prize education or we don't.

I'm loving my TUT messages - thanks for telling us all about them in the first place!

 
At 6:35 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

As a father with a young daughter, I can't help but notice the shirts some teenage girls are wearing these days! "Hottie, Boy Toy, Hot Stuff". And this is a generation we are trying to teach that looks and objectification aren't right. I guess we're losing that battle. Or maybe people have just become numb to the bad stuff.

 
At 12:56 PM, Blogger Janes Jungle said...

Hi Jodee

I notice bumper stickers too. One that riled me up recently said "Animals taste good." Well only if you kill them, gut them, cook them and add lots of seasoning. Ever tried eating a dead animal without fire and salt? I really don't think it would taste too good!

You are so right about what these proclaimants say about the displayer. What IS going on in their minds?!?! Actually, I don't really want to know - I just want to stay as far away as possible.

Love ya.

Jane

 
At 3:39 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee,
Bumper stickers and tee shirts have long been a means to flip the proverbial middle finger at the world. My concern more recently is our culture's increasing willingness to "flip off" many previously respected forms of civility.

In the name of free speech, hecklers are allowed to boo a speaker and disrupt a lecture; television personalities interrupt guests and each other--to the point where nothing can be heard; road rage; public displays of(more than just) affection.

While I work to observe such instances not from being personally offended, I do have concerns about the price "polite society" pays for the erosion of public manners.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home