Friday, May 26, 2006

Believe It When You See It - or The Other Way Around?

I'm thinking today about thinking. Interesting concept, huh? How often do we really stop and think about the way we think? How might the way we think about things really have an impact on the way we see the world?

I've been listening to Wayne Dyer and also to Deepak Chopra recently, and they have been talking about how our beliefs really do shape our reality. Deepak, who is a medical doctor, was telling a story about a fellow doctor friend of his who was a heavy smoker (this was a few years ago when many more people smoked). Deepak said his friend was always coughing and Deepak suggested that he get a chest X-ray just to make sure he was OK. His friend refused. One day Deepak said his friend was coughing profusely, and Deepak dragged him in to get a chest X-ray and it revealed a coin-sized spot on his lung. Deepak said within a week his friend was coughing blood, and within a month he died.

Deepak went back and checked in his friend's medical file and found an X-ray that had been taken five years before and there was the coin-sized spot - no different than it was on the last X-ray. What Deepak concluded was that his friend didn't die of cancer, but died of the diagnosis. What he knew of cancer was that it was a death sentence and he proved himself right. Wow.

Wayne wrote a book a while ago called "You'll See It When You Believe It," about how the way we think can really help us see the world through those eyes. I've written before about how that has happened in my own life ... how many times have you been thinking about someone or something and all of a sudden that person calls or shows up in your space, or the thing you were thinking about comes into your view? We call that coincidence or luck but what if there really is more to it than that?

If we can start to see that whatever shows up in our lives is a result of the way we are thinking, what would that mean to the voices in our heads that are masquerading as the "victim" and the "villain"?

I don't know about you, but this shift in my thinking has caused an amazing shift in the way the world is occurring to me. When I started thinking about this, I discovered that I don't have any negative friends; I don't have depressing conversations with people; I don't really have too many complaints in my life. At first I thought that was just a lucky phenomenon until I started examining the work I've been doing on myself over the past couple of years. I started noticing that as I shifted my attitude, things started shifting around me. Now I look for positive things in my life and that's exactly what I see.

On the one hand it seems almost amazing ... but on the other hand, isn't this the way it should be for all of us? Shouldn't life be wonderful and peaceful and supportive of us? Wouldn't that be a better space for all of us to exist inside of? What would you be freed up to be if you didn't have the worries and stresses in your life?

I met a new friend a couple of weeks ago who told me that she has worked hard all her life to save money. In her words, she said she has been a "hoarder" and one night she figured out that she had enough money socked away so that she could live for the rest of her life without working. Wow - that's pretty freeing! She went to sleep that night with all kinds of exciting ideas in her head ... and then she bolted awake three hours later and went back to her checkbook and discovered - to her horror - that she had the decimal point in the wrong place, and she wasn't financially independent like she thought she was three hours earlier.

The good news is that during those three hours of freedom, she had all kinds of new thoughts about how she would live her life without constraints - and she remembered what they were. Nothing had changed in the universe in those three hours - but in her mind they had and her thought process allowed all kinds of new energy into her space. Although she didn't have the money she thought she had, she still had the ideas and the thoughts and she committed to staying on that path and living that way in spite of the reality. And she's seeing a lot of those ideas come to fruition in her life just because she intended them.

What are your thoughts producing in your life? Where might you be able to see something different by thinking it that way? Try it - and let me know what shows up in your space!

4 Comments:

At 11:58 PM, Blogger Mary said...

I too have been witness to the diagnosis being the cause of death rather than the illness/disease itself. ----so very scary to know a person could do that to oneself.

Then again, I have seen it the other way around, where once someone knew what they had, they dealth with it head on mentally and got through it WITHOUT traditional treatments via doctors etc. ---- mind blowing, but a tad too risky for me on the big stuff!

Enjoyed your post. I certainly agree.

 
At 11:30 PM, Blogger Craig said...

I love the fact that you put all of this in writing. It's something I've been trying for a few years now, and it's an amazing way to live.

Thank you!

 
At 12:05 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Thanks so much, Sunny and Craig! I really truly believe this is the way I want to live and am so glad to hear your validations!

Thanks for stopping by and visit again!

Jodee

 
At 3:04 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Two of my favorite scriptures have always been "Faith is the substance of things hoped for and the evidence of things not seen" (Heb 11:1) and "whatever is true, whatever is noble, whatever is right, whatever is pure, whatever is lovely, whatever is admirable—if anything is excellent or praiseworthy—think about such things" (Phil 4:8). Each holds a certain truth about our mindset and our attitude toward life. Even for the most atheistic, there needs to be a certain amount of faith, even if it's in one's own ability to impact life and future by actions and decisions (also known as "accountability"). The Philippians passage is just good plain common sense. Walk around like Eeyore and... well... you'll lose your tail once in a while and have eat some thistles. Not fun. Life is too short anyway.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home