Tuesday, February 06, 2007

Filling in the Gaps

I'm thinking right now about the Sam Cooke song "Wonderful World" that starts:

"Don't know much about history, Don't know much biology, Don't know much about a science book ..."

because I really don't know much about science in general. Yet I've been thinking a lot recently about the concept of a vacuum (and not because I'm looking around at all the cat hair on the floor!).

I was talking with my friend Dave a couple of weeks ago about all things philosophical, and since then I've been wondering more about the scientific and philosophical implications of a vacuum. I've said before that humans don't exist in a vacuum - we need other people in our space - but I never really understood that scientifically.

I've also theorized that whenever there is a void - a space - a vacuum, if you will - we will fill it up with negative, since that tends to be our conditioning. If your friend doesn't say hi when you pass in the hallway, you will probably make up a story about it meaning something like "he's mad at me," or "he thinks he's better than me," or something with a negative connotation. We tend to jump to all kinds of conclusions and most of the time they have a tendency to pull us down.

Wayne Dyer narrates a really important meditation CD called "Getting in the Gap" in which he talks about how it is the space between the bars that holds the tiger - it is the rests between the notes that defines the music - and it is the gap between our thoughts where we can connect with our Creator. The beauty of our lives can be best felt and experienced when we just get quiet and be OK with the stillness.

I still don't know much about science - or the real story of a vacuum - but if spaces have to fill up with something, why don't we see if we can notice the positives instead of the negatives? What do we have to lose?

Labels: , , , ,

2 Comments:

At 11:38 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you Jodee. This cuts right to the heart of what I'm learning right now. 'Not knowing' is such a wonderful place to be.

It seems as though when we get comfortable with 'not knowing' - be willing to live with an un-answered question so to speak, then the whole Universe becomes the unfoldment of The Answer.

This I believe, is the meaning of 'nature abhors a vacuum'

Blessings to You.

 
At 2:03 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Nick:

Yes - it is all about the "not knowing." When I can get quiet, I discover that I really do Know (capital K) quite a bit ... that's when I realize the Answers (capital A) from the Universe.

Thank you, as always, for being such a constant feedback loop for me!

Jodee

 

Post a Comment

<< Home