Thursday, March 29, 2007

THINK about it ...

I'm inspired to write today about THINKING as the first step to action. It's no surprise that thinking should be a hot topic - after all, that's the basic premise of The Secret and all the documents that inspired that movie/book/movement. Say what you will about The Secret (and there's plenty of buzz going around about it), it has definitely created a new topic of conversation around the water cooler.

I watched Bob Proctor on Nightline last week, and frankly, was a little disappointed. I have a very good friend who is coaching with Bob Proctor and she told me that there was much more to the interview than ended up on the show. So I did a little sleuthing, and came up with the actual 107-page transcript of that interview.

Here's just a tidbit of what DIDN'T make the cut on Nightline:

Bob Proctor: "The average person doesn't think. If most people said what they were thinking, they would be speechless. Listen to the conversations. It's obvious they're not thinking or they would never say what they're saying. Or stand back and watch what they're doing. They would never do what they're doing if they were thinking. Mental activity does not constitute thinking. We have to be taught to think. It's a subject that we can learn, like mathematics or reading or history. But we don't teach it."


Why did this get cut? I realize that a 107-page transcript is WAY too long for a 15-minute segment on Nightline. But what I found fascinating when reading through the entire thing is how focused on the negative Cynthia McFadden was. She had talked to all kinds of people - medical people, the president of the American Cancer Society, a physicist - all trying to disprove what Bob Proctor knows, and what The Secret has created in conversations around the globe. So the journalist in Cynthia McFadden had to concentrate on the parts of Bob's information that would "support" her take on the story she was reporting.

It's simply the Law of Attraction at work. What you think about you bring about. What you are looking for, you will find.

We really AREN'T trained to think like this, are we? I know I was trained - in school, at work, in my life - to follow the rules, to do what someone else told me to do. I was trained NOT to think, when you really "think" about it. I'm not blaming anyone - I'm just noticing what I notice.

So what I'm committed to in the world is Bigger Small TALK, which starts with Bigger Small THINK. But it can't end there. If we are only bigger thinkers and bigger talkers, we will be just that: BIG TALKERS. We have to put action to those thoughts and those words. And, what I know from reading Steve Farber's books, especially The Radical Edge, is that we should never, EVER try to do this alone.

So I'm creating the Summit for Bigger Small Talk in Fargo in June to connect those of us who are committed to this idea. As we meet in person, we are taking those action steps. We've got people coming to Fargo this summer without even knowing exactly what the Summit will entail because they are committed to action around bigger small talk.

Do you want to play BIG? Put your mouth where your heart is and join us in Fargo June 27-28. We'll be creating this event each week until then, so come play with us! Let us know what you would like to see and be and feel and know and then we'll create - and allow - that together.

16 Comments:

At 1:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

What is very revealing in your comments is "how focused on the negative Cynthia McFadden was." Cynthia got the show she intended.

I would love to hear more about your event in June, do you have specific dates yet?

 
At 8:41 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Greg: This is the Law of Attraction at its best, wouldn't you say? She absolutely got what she intended.

The summit is scheduled for June 27 & 28 (Wednesday and Thursday). I hope you can come! I'll get you more details.

 
At 11:04 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I wonder if "thinking" as Bob Proctor discussed also has to do with being "conscious" and aware, as opposed to automatic thinking, which is more of a default pattern we go into with little or no awareness. Interesting as always!

 
At 11:08 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

That's my take, Deb. I, personally, realize now that I have been conditioned for that automatic response - the "right" answer - being who someone else wants me to be - which really requires no thinking on my part, just remembering ("what did I say last time and how can I be consistent so I will be viewed as acceptable?").

I'm reminded here of my hero Emerson's take on Self Reliance when he said "A foolish consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds." Maybe those little minds he was referring to were the automatic thinkers and not the conscious thinkers.

Great food for additional (conscious) thought!

 
At 9:19 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I heard Bob Proctor speak years ago, and out of the many things he said, this is one of the comments that struck me the strongest.

I believe that the same is true for action. Most people aren't 'acting' - they are 're-acting.' They are just running the same cycles over and over again, and not really stepping into an active role with their environment.

I see myself do this all the time- and yet it's so different when I'm given the grace and consciousness to truly act.

Thanks for reminding me of this, Jodee.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

You're entirely welcome, Mark. It's a great lesson for all of us, I think - and I like how you made the distinction between action and re-action.

Thank you for the work you're doing in the world, too. I love the Heart of Business concepts and use them in my own work!

 
At 1:05 PM, Blogger Herman said...

I'm not familiar with Bob Proctor's work but your statement that THINKING is the first step to action caught my eye. I've been personally exploring the idea that SEEING is the first step to action and thinking IS the second step. By seeing I do not mean use of the physical eyes. I mean seeing on the inside. You have to see something within you first before you can start thinking about it. So, it's SEE then THINK then DO. What do you think?

 
At 4:31 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Herman: I think (no pun intended) what you're saying is more like what I would consider "feeling" - noticing something and then take note of how it makes you feel, which then affects what you think about it. I don't know enough about Bob Proctor's entire set of work to speak directly to his distinction of thinking first, but I totally hear what you're saying. I've heard Wayne Dyer say that you see something when you believe it, not the other way around, and that's also an interesting concept. That seems to support your SEE - THINK - DO model, too.

I so appreciate your insights - and I believe that if we are AWAKE - either in the way we see (on the inside) or the way we think (also on the inside) - we will begin to see huge strides in the level of consciousness in our lives.

Thank you so much for visiting - and for your comments!

 
At 5:24 PM, Blogger Herman said...

A little after posting my comment I decided to go watch a video from my library as I hanged out with my son. I chose John Maxwell's, Learning the 21 Irrefutable Laws of Leadership. In this video, John says that "It's not what you see that's important (when it comes to vision) but what you feel. If you feel passionate about it, it will govern your life". Wow! That ties in very well with your reply above! Great thought. Thanks for posting!

 
At 9:09 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Herman: A perfect example of how there are no accidents or coincidences - everything is in divine order! Thanks for sharing this with me!!

 
At 4:04 PM, Blogger Explorelifeblog said...

The secret to the secret is that our thinking has to come from being present. Thinking is only of value if we are open to the moment, aware and awake to our inner knowing. Much of thinking is repetition, unconsious inner dialogue and time spent remembering the past. Where is the present? When are we open to seeing what is, to observing our own state of readiness to fully be. My passion is to encourage and inspire the best in people. See what else is cooking at www.explorelifeblog.com

 
At 4:57 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Joseph: I love your blog! I'm so glad you dropped by so I could meet you! Thanks for reminding me about being in the present. After all, nothing else exists, when you really think about it. It sounds like we have similar passions in our lives - yours is to encourage and inspire the best in people and mine is to support everyone in creating and allowing bigger small talk in their lives. I'd love to invite you to our Summit for Bigger Small Talk in June - keep watching this blog and that one (biggersmalltalk.blogspot.com) for more details!

 
At 3:16 AM, Blogger Tshombe said...

Very interesting, Jodee. Lots of great comments.

Perhaps it's not whether we think or not, but that we are not taught to think about what we're thinking.

It appears this is what being "the observer" really means.

It's only when we are aware of what some term "the ego mind" and let it know that we see exactly what it's thinking can we choose something else.

Of course, "The Secret" is far more than thinking all day long. As Dr. Dõv Baron puts it, 'Thought is only potentially creative.' We have to consciously add fuel to the fire, as it were, in the form of intense, focused emotion.

I didn't see Nightline, but I really appreciate you opening up the dialogue on Bob Proctor and this most timely subject.

Cheers,

Tshombe
-----
"Did you know you have the power to inspire?"
The Inspiration Nation

Your Signature Coaching & Consulting

 
At 7:49 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Tshombe: Thank you so much for your comments here. I'm very interested in the observer effect, and first heard about it from Deepak Chopra. I heard James Ray speak a couple of weeks ago in Minneapolis, and he explained it there, too - very interesting concept. We do need to think about thinking.

I remember being about 4 or 5 years old and thinking about thinking - I would wonder if other people noticed that they were thinking about things the way I was. In fact, as I think back, I think - no, I know - I "got" this stuff way before I think I did. I just forgot. That might be why I named my blog "You Already Know This Stuff ..." I think somewhere inside of me the observer knew.

I really love your blog, too - so I'm doubly glad you visited and posted today!

 
At 1:02 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, I thought you might be interest to know that Bob Proctor has given an interview where he gave more insights to the Law of Attraction.

The interview report is free. If you are interested, you can get a copy here:
http://www.abundanceattracting.com/attractionaccelerator_BobProctor.pdf

 
At 4:55 AM, Blogger kenovaseo12 said...

We also provide some free services related to stress management, good health, body wellness, meditation fitness, explore life.
visit for more detail:-
http://www.xplorelife.com

 

Post a Comment

<< Home