Friday, May 04, 2007

Have we become complacent?

If you think about it, our natural state as living human beings is toward growth. We can't help it. No matter how much we try, we can't avoid growing - at least in our physical bodies. We grow older by the minute, and our bodies change all the time.

Do our minds automatically join our bodies in heading toward change and growth? It seems that there are many people in the world who have become complacent, cynical and resigned with their place in the world.

Now I'm not saying that we shouldn't be grateful for what we have and where we are - that's the only way to move forward. But if we're grateful - truly grateful and truly happy - then we will recognize that our natural state is toward growth and won't resist changes that come our way.

I've been busy this week doing some personal accountability training and also accelerated innovation training - and, at least for me, I realize more and more all the time that I teach what I most need to learn. I was reminded this week that there is no place for blame or for cynicism in my view of the world. If we are to move to action in our lives, it's important that we remain open to new ideas and calculated risks.

If our natural state is growth, getting out of our own way will allow that to happen in our lives without effort. As Oprah says, if you feel like you're swimming upstream, turn around! Get in the flow! Complacency, resignation and cynicism block the flow.

Keep asking yourself, "how is it working?" and you'll find that an objective answer to that question - without judgment - might help you see that there are new choices to make in any given moment, which will lead to that flow!

5 Comments:

At 6:45 AM, Blogger Granitgard said...

Jodee you present an interesting consideration. I think we all tend to have a degree of negativity brought about by our social conditioning. We seem to have dreams and hopes about what we want to achieve but that is what they are just dreams and hopes which at the slitest problem go into the to hard basket and we set new dreams to replace the old as we never want to accept responcibility. The law of attraction is one of these points and I cannot agree with the free report I have seen at physicsofgetting wealthy.com/rights Its to simple and directed to getting rich yet this report deals in money making but then contriducks itself by saying the law of attraction should be more detailed and not be about money but what you want to buy with the money and then the money will come. Double standards once again but who am I to complain its a way of making money so I have signed up to sell it.

 
At 2:08 PM, Blogger Herman said...

It's unfortunate that about 80% of humanity lives lives of quiet desperation. Supposing we all became enlightened.... Or, for the sake of not sounding too spiritual, suppose we all became active participants in the journey of life.... Supposing all human beings started living with the licence of a higher order of being as Thoreau advocates....Will it be the beginning of a new society? Will the human landscape rid itself of the lazy, the poor, the ignorant, the foolish, the cons, the couch-potato(s), the slothful, etc?

It's true that a sense of gratefulness births a passion for resourcefulness. I guess I'm trying to figure out is this: how is it that we begin life "already knowing this stuff", full of zest and zeal as we swim joyful towards promising lands and then somehow as we approach the middle of our journey we start taking things "easy" and start drifting towards the bottom of the river. It's a lot to figure out. It's time for me to take my son to the park. Maybe by just observing the kids there an answer might crop up - they already know a lot that I somehow forgot as I acquired my education.

 
At 10:22 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Granit & Herman:

Thank you so much for your thoughtful comments. I agree social conditioning does give us lots of reasons for being the way we find ourselves. As we accept responsibility for our lives, we can see that there we really can change our future.

Herman, I love your thought process. I believe wholeheartedly that we can change the world by becoming enlightened - by become active participants in the journey of life, as you say. I think I'll write another post about your question about how it is that we do know this stuff as children, but unlearn it as we grow older. Thanks for the inspiration!

 
At 4:06 AM, Blogger Open Eyes Blinded By The Knowledge Of All That Is said...

I enjoyed reading this, it has left several questions in my mind about how complacent I may have become.

 
At 7:13 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Open Eyes: I'm glad you enjoyed the post. Questions are good - they help us get through our old beliefs and challenge us into new ways of seeing ourselves and the world. Glad you stopped by!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home