Monday, March 24, 2008

Let's Choose Our Right Minds!

My friend Tony called pretty late on Thursday night and told me I had to watch this video from TED. He said to call him back no matter how late and tell him what I thought.

Well, we had a great conversation centered around this very powerful and emotional presentation by Jill Bolte Taylor, a neuroanatomist who suffered a stroke and lived to tell all about it.



One of my master mind groups here in Fargo read Daniel Pink's A Whole New Mind and we have done a lot of discussing about the right and the left hemispheres of our brains, but not to the extent Jill talks about in this video. However, as we are now studying Eckhart Tolle's A New Earth, I find there is a connection.

I was very moved by this presentation, and find that more and more of my conversations seem to involve the level of authenticity and even spirituality I sensed from Ms. Taylor in this presentation. She reminds us to choose where we'd like to spend our time, and indicates that we might be able to consciously choose our "right minds." I think we're getting closer to being able to bring the best of ourselves to our conversations at work and at home and our families and businesses and communities are going to benefit greatly from this authenticity.

What are your thoughts?

If you want to be part of a grassroots junior TED event, consider coming to the Bigger Small Talk Summit here in Fargo June 10-11. We will be using Open Space to create opportunities to present topics we're passionate about and want to share. The website will be coming back online April 1, so watch for details to follow there.

Maybe you've got a story like Jill Bolte Taylor's you'd like to share. I can guarantee we'll have an audience for you in Fargo!

5 Comments:

At 10:18 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Wow was that powerful!! thank you for sharing this great video...
Sharon

 
At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi Jodee,
I also included this video in one of my posts. I can honestly say that it completely blew me away!

It was so powerful at times that I felt drawn in completely as if I was right there in the audience listening to her.

What an incredible speaker!

I too am a Tedster and I try to post a "Tuesday with TED" post every ... er ... Tuesday :-).

Your Jr. TED meeting in Fargo seems very interesting.

Thanks again for the post. I'll be back!

Cheers,
Steve

 
At 6:19 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Sharon & Steve:

Thank you so much for visiting and sharing your comments here. I was very moved by this presentation and it really inspires me in lots of ways - not the least of which is to get really in touch with who I really am and the choices I make. Yes, our Bigger Small Talk Summit (TED, Jr.) is a wonderful vision of mine and I'm committed to it being a very powerful experience for everyone who attends.

Thanks again for your comments!

Jodee

 
At 2:24 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was both awed and thought like you that the right mind is a similar theme that we hear in the "new" psychologies. It's a figure-ground thing, I think. We can get so tied up in who we are that we have forgotten where we are.

I seem to be hearing the theme everywhere: David Whyte, Paulo Coehlo, The Legend of Bagger Vance (Bhagavan Gita). . . more?

 
At 3:27 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Jo:

It seems everywhere I turn these days I'm hearing messages about the connections between this video and everything else I've been studying. Yes, certainly the ones you note, but also the Tao, A Course in Miracles, A New Earth ... even Think and Grow Rich. It's a wonderful time to be alive - and awake, isn't, it?? :)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home