Sunday, June 22, 2008

Revisiting This Blog's Title

I've heard over the years of this blog's life from many people who have either agreed with or disagreed with the title of this blog.

"If I already know it, why should I read it?" was one question.

"How do you know what I already know?" was another.

The answer to both is, "I don't know (but you do)."

I'm learning more and more every day that it was no accident that I named this blog what I did back in 2004 when I began writing.

The phrase "we teach what we most need to learn" must have been coined specifically for me, because that's what I know for sure regarding my chosen career.

I really do know this stuff - I've just forgotten. And I've begun trusting that knowing more and more.

When I work with clients, I am notorious for spending hours and hours in preparation for a one- or two-hour presentation, tweaking my PowerPoint slides until two minutes before the presentation. Or I painstakingly attempt to conjure up every combination of question or comment that could possibly come up so I have at least some idea how to prepare.

What I'm (finally) learning is that it's taken my whole lifetime to acquire whatever information I've put into my head, whether that's learning through books or through experience. And there's a lot in there to draw from! My most useful contribution for my clients (and really for everyone in my life) is my presence, from which I can draw upon both knowledge and wisdom.

Complete presence and attention is something very few people ever experience from anyone in their lives, so when do we get a chance to practice it - whether giving it or receiving it?

So that's some of the stuff I already know and just needed a reminder.

What do you already know that you're not remembering? Is there anything that comes up for you that seems to connect with some inner knowing from way beyond your experience? Those are the cool serendipities and coincidences I'm confident you will start noticing when you become present.

Thanks to my master mind community and to Eckhart Tolle for reminding me of something I already knew - I learn so much when I just shut up and BE!

4 Comments:

At 6:51 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jodee, I like the name of your blog because it resonates for me. I,too, often "forget" what I know. It's good to revisit, to hear again what we "know" so that we can make different choices. Hey, maybe the additional tag line could be - "You Already Know This Stuff, So Why Aren't You Acting On IT?" Just kidding . . .it's already implied!

 
At 8:45 PM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Deb:

Great idea for the tag line! I ask myself that question a lot! Thanks so much for visiting - and for sharing your genius through your blog!

Jodee

 
At 3:05 PM, Blogger Dorothy said...

I know I already lived more then half my life and there is much left to do. Sooooo
I think often of what I don't want to do again...Great question...

Dorothy from grammology
remember to call your gram
grammology.com

 
At 6:08 AM, Blogger Jodee Bock said...

Dorothy:

Thanks so much for visiting! I love your blog!! And isn't that what life is all about? Making decisions about what is really important? I'm so glad I'm waking up to that now! There is so much to do and see and BE! (And also so much not to worry about!) Thanks for the reminder!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home