Monday, September 07, 2009

Reflections on Labor Day

There are so many thoughts going through my head today, not the least of which is the stark difference between what this day meant to me as an employee and what it means to me today as an entrepreneur.

Although I had a great career during the time I was an employee (great pay, good benefits, interactions with various co-workers which made life interesting), I remember distinctly looking forward to vacation days and holidays so I could do what I wanted to do for myself.

As an entrepreneur, I really do have that opportunity every day. Sure, there are things I don't enjoy doing as much as others, but for the most part every day is a product of my creation and my invention. (Today, for example, on my "day off," I'm going to a coffee shop to work on my next book. Who knew I had that in me? And who knows what that will turn into - or not? Either way I'm learning and growing.)

So why is my mindset so different now than it was 6 years ago when I gave up my W-2 and the perceived security of that steady paycheck? Why can't we find a way to bring our whole selves to the workplace when we're employed by someone else? I have a feeling that's what my next book is going to be about - the pursuit of happiness (spelled correctly!) at work. Or maybe the decision to be happy in life and then show up at work or something like that.

We'll see what happens. I'm grateful to the idea that's found me, at least for now. If in everything I take on I continue to grow and learn, then no project or activity can possibly have been in vain. What will I have to show for it? An expanded mind that serves me better than ever in absolutely every endeavor.

Thank you to everyone who works to make this country grand ... and this world a better place to live. I'm dedicating my career to supporting the folks who believe in their workplaces and want to make each day an exciting growth opportunity for everyone employed there. Please let me know how I can help. At Bock's Office we are committed to creating memorable and effective learning experiences that expand peoples' thinking and allow them to live their capacity.

Watch for more information about the new book (which, I think, was just created during this blog post!). Now I'm accountable for keeping my word so, here goes.

It'll be a labor of love conceived on Labor Day!

Enjoy the day - I know I will!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home